SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A Clairemont resident and a school custodian rescued a 50-year-old man and his two dogs from a burning house Thursday, authorities reported.
A bedroom space heater sparked the blaze in the 3600 block of Mount Alvarez Avenue shortly before 8:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Seeing smoke pouring out of the home, the Riley Elementary School janitor rushed over and began banging on windows and doors along with a man who lives nearby, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.
The pounding roused a sleeping resident, who opened his bedroom window, allowing the rescuers to pull him to safety along with his dogs.
The school worker then used a fire extinguisher on the spreading flames, to no avail. Firefighters soon arrived and took over, getting the blaze under control within about five minutes, Luque said.
Medics transported the janitor to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
The efforts of the two good Samaritans "definitely" saved the lives of the residents and his canines, fire Capt. Jeff Butler told news crews.
Investigators set the monetary losses at $150,000 to the structure and $100,000 to contents.