Report reveals new details about why assailant in teen rape - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - 760 KFMB AM - 760kfmb

Report reveals new details about why assailant in teen rape was set free

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8/ CNS) – A probation report obtained by News 8 reveals disturbing new details about the rape of a drunk teenage girl, and sheds light on some of the reasons why one of her attackers avoided jail time.

Last Thursday, Raatib Prince, 19, was sentenced to time already served after pleading guilty to a charge of rape with a foreign object.

According to a report from the San Diego County Probation Department, the victim was among a group of teens, including Prince, who were hanging out in a canyon in Lincoln Park after school on November 26, 2012. The group was reportedly drinking vodka that two girls stole from a liquor store.

One witness quoted in the documents claims the victim "chugged two bottles of vodka like they were water." Later, her blood alcohol level was determined to be .47 percent.

The report states that the victim passed out and remained unconscious from 4:00pm until 11:00pm while the other teens kept drinking vodka and smoking marijuana around her.

During that time, the documents go on to say, two 17-year-old boys – who are also co-defendants in the case – reportedly moved the victim to a dirt alcove surrounded by bushes approximately 50 yards away from the group. One boy "pulled down her pants and underwear and had vaginal intercourse with her while she was unconscious," according to the probation report.

The documents go on to say that, later in the night, another 17-year-old boy walked back to the area where the victim was laying alone and also had intercourse with the girl while she was passed out, before returning to the group.

A 14-year-old girl, who is also a co-defendant in the case, further assaulted the victim by penetrating the girl with her fingers while she was unconscious, according to court documents.

According to the probation report, Prince "failed to intervene on the victim's behalf" and later admitted to police he penetrated the victim with his fingers.

The report also states Prince was the only one who later went for help by walking to a nearby trolley station and telling three men what had happened. One of those men called 911.

The probation department examined the circumstances surrounding Prince's involvement in the rape and recommended that he be put on probation for three years, and serve 365 days in jail.

The report cites several reasons for supporting a grant of probation, including the fact that Prince has no prior criminal record, and a felony rape conviction would have "adverse collateral consequences" on his life.

The report goes on to recommend that Prince be required to register as a sex offender, a condition that would have stuck with him for life and required he notify authorities of his status in any city to which he might move in the future.

During his sentencing hearing on Thursday, Judge Laura Halgren granted Prince release for time served and placed him on probation for three years, but denied a request by prosecutors to require Prince to register as a sex offender, saying the defendant was not a predator and was not likely to commit a similar crime.

"Mr. Prince is less culpable than others who may have cases pending," Judge Halgren said in court Thursday.

Prince was sentenced to 240 days in jail, which he had already served. As he walked out of George Bailey Detention Facility on Thursday night, Prince told News8 he only took a plea deal to get out of jail, and maintains that he did nothing wrong.

"I had nothing to do with it, except for calling the police. That was my only involvement," Prince said.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.