New developments in Mayor Filner scandal - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - AM 760 KFMB

New developments in Mayor Filner scandal

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8/CNS) - San Diego Mayor Bob Filner will complete his behavioral therapy program on Saturday, and will then take "personal time" next week before he returns to work.

Mayor Filner's legal team confirmed Friday that the mayor went into therapy early and will finish Saturday. He then plans to continue his therapy on an outpatient basis.

Also Friday, a spokesman for the city attorney, Jan Goldsmith, told News 8 that they are aware that the locks have been changed at the mayor's office, and they "agree with it."

Saying "enough is enough," Bob Filner's last two supporters on the City Council called for the embattled San Diego mayor to resign immediately.

Councilwomen Myrtle Cole and Marti Emerald issued a joint statement Friday that pointed to new evidence of Filner's conduct, including statements by members of the mayor's staff to investigators about alleged daily harassment and abuse.

Cole and Emerald, who are closely aligned to the mayor politically, joined the seven other members of the panel in calling on him to step down.

Cole, who won a special election to join the council in May, had previously backed the mayor's plea for due process rights while allegations of sexual harassment swirled around him.

Emerald, who was attending a governance seminar at Harvard University when the scandal erupted, criticized Filner's conduct upon her return but did not call for his resignation at that time.

"Mayor Bob Filner must resign immediately," the councilwomen said in Friday's joint statement. "Disturbing new evidence about the mayor's conduct makes it crystal clear he can no longer remain the chief executive of the city of San Diego."

After acknowledging their previous support for the mayor, Cole and Emerald said, "We are shocked by his conduct and his lack of respect for women, his employees and the office he holds."

Friday, the campaign to recall Mayor Bob Filner received a financial boost from a local businessman.

Rancho Santa Fe businessman, John Cox says he's opening up his wallet to help fund the grassroots recall effort against the embattled mayor, who has been accused of unwanted advances by women.

"I hope I am just the beginning," he said. "We're going to raise some money, and we need the business community to step up because we certainly may need to have professional signature gatherers out on the street at some point."  

So far, 14 women have publicly complained of unwanted advances by the mayor, including two city employees.

One, former mayoral communications director Irene McCormack Jackson, has sued Filner and the city. Another, a manager who only used her first name of Stacy, has lodged two complaints but has not filed a lawsuit.

When the recall petition drive starts, signature-gatherers say they'll be posted at major sporting venues, large shopping malls and various community events.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.