AM 760 KFMB - Talk Radio Station - San Diego, CA - Legal move keeps infamous rapist behind bars

Legal move keeps infamous rapist behind bars

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) – A trial set to begin Tuesday for the so-called "Bolder than Most" serial rapist will no longer take place.

With attorney Gloria Allred by her side, Cynthia Medina Monday expressed her relief in learning that serial rapist Alvin Quarles will not be released back into the community, at least for now.

"I just still struggle every day, my life has been hard because of it," she said.

Cynthia was raped by Quarles 25 years ago, as was Mary Meehan Taylor.

"Over a period of close to three years, Alvin Quarles committed multiple sexual assaults that included breaking into people's homes, such as my own, holding them at knifepoint and forcing them to endure and or engage in sexual acts at the threat of death," Taylor said.

In a plea bargain, Quarles was sentenced to 50 years in prison, but last year, Medina heard some prisoners were being released early, and decided to check on Quarles.

"To her horror, she learned by contacting victims' services at the prison that he would be released on November 16, 2013 after serving only half of his prison term," Allred said.

Working with the DA's office, the two victims were prepared to testify in a jury trial set to begin Tuesday to determine if Quarles, now 51, should be sent to a state hospital for sex offenders. But that trial will no longer happen, since Quarles has decided to admit, that he is still a sexually-violent predator who needs treatment.

"I shouldn't have to be dealing with this 25 years later. He should be doing the rest of his time," Medina said.

The two victims -- who say they were never told Quarles was about to be released from prison -- are still wary of what the future holds.

"When you're a victim of a sexually-violent predator like that, don't put your blind faith in the system to take care of it," Medina said.

"No community should have to live with this, and know that someone who has a history of doing this, is there with the opportunity to do it again," Taylor said.

Prosecutors say they are pleased with the outcome. They say Quarles' decision to accept treatment at a state hospital saves everyone the time and money, and for the victims, the emotional stress of going through a jury trial, which was set to begin on Tuesday.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.