SAN DIEGO — Rep. Duncan Hunter's seat in the U.S. House of Representatives will remain empty, according to Gov. Gavin Newsom's office. The disgraced congressman represented the 50th Congressional District for 11 years before pleading guilty to misusing campaign funds on Dec. 3, 2019.

"The Governor’s office received Rep. Hunter’s resignation letter," said Vicky Waters, Deputy Director of Public Affairs for Gov. Newsom. "Based on the timing of the resignation, a special election will not be called.”

This means district which includes Alpine, Fallbrook, San Marcos, Valley Center, Ramona, Escondido, Santee, Lakeside, parts of El Cajon and a small portion of Riverside County won't have someone representing them in the House until 2021. You can read more about California special election laws here.

If Newsom had called a special election, the person elected would immediately have had to start campaigning for re-election, which candidates are already doing. The already-anticipated primary for California's 50th district is scheduled for March 3. 

TIMELINE: Rep. Duncan Hunter timeline | From replacing father in Congress to guilty plea in San Diego federal court

The 43-year-old Republican submitted his resignation letter on Tuesday, Jan. 7 - more than a month after pleading guilty. He previously said he would resign "after the holidays." 

Prior to resigning, the U.S House Committee on Ethics wrote a letter to Hunter on Thursday, Dec. 5, strongly urging him to not cast any votesYou can read that letter here

Hunter faces five years in person. He'll be sentenced on March 17.