SAN DIEGO — Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill on Friday that would prohibit the sale of guns and ammunition at the Del Mar Fairgrounds starting next year.
The bill was part of a package of 15 bills signed by the governor that aim at strengthening gun violence protections.
"California has outperformed the rest of the nation, because of our gun safety laws, in reducing the gun murder rate substantially compared to the national reduction," Newsom said as he signed the measures surrounded by state lawmakers. "No state does it as well or comprehensively as the state of California, and we still have a long way to go."
Last year, the gun shows were suspended temporarily, but a judge later ruled that they could continue.
State Assemblymember Todd Gloria held a news conference Friday afternoon to discuss the bill.
"I'm just freshly back from Sacramento and I have AB 893 and it has been signed by Governor Newsom," said Gloria.
Gloria introduced the bill, making Del Mar the first fairgrounds in the state to ban such a thing.
"Today is a landmark day for our community," said Gloria. "Today is a landmark day for California, and today is a landmark day for gun safety."
Below is Assembly Bill No. 893 signed by Governor Newsom Friday:
Crossroads puts on the show. Tracy Olcott with Crossroads says while she's disappointed, she knew this was coming. Olcott says the show adheres to the same regulations as a gun store.
"We are all against gun violence,” said Olcott. “No one wants to see anything with gun violence, but we need to find common ground where we can work on that together."
In total, the Governor signed the following gun-related bills:
- AB 12 by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin (D-Thousand Oaks) – Firearms: gun violence restraining orders.
- AB 61 by Assemblymember Philip Ting (D-San Francisco) – Gun violence restraining orders.
- AB 164 by Assemblymember Sabrina Cervantes (D-Riverside) – Firearms: prohibited persons.
- AB 339 by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin (D-Thousand Oaks) – Gun violence restraining orders: law enforcement procedures.
- AB 521 by Assemblymember Marc Berman (D-Palo Alto) – Physicians and surgeons: firearms: training.
- AB 645 by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin (D-Thousand Oaks) – Firearms: warning statements.
- AB 879 by Assemblymember Mike Gipson (D-Carson) – Firearms.
- AB 893 by Assemblymember Todd Gloria (D-San Diego) – 22nd District Agricultural Association: firearm and ammunition sales at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
- AB 1297 by Assemblymember Kevin McCarty (D-Sacramento) – Firearms: concealed carry license.
- AB 1493 by Assemblymember Philip Ting (D-San Francisco) – Gun violence restraining order: petition.
- AB 1548 by Assemblymember Jesse Gabriel (D-Encino) – California State Nonprofit Security Grant Program.
- AB 1603 by Assemblymember Buffy Wicks (D-Oakland) – California Violence Intervention and Prevention Grant Program.
- AB 1669 by Assemblymember Rob Bonta (D-Alameda) – Firearms: gun shows and events.
- SB 61 by Senator Anthony Portantino (D-La Cañada Flintridge) – Firearms: transfers.
- SB 376 by Senator Anthony Portantino (D-La Cañada Flintridge) – Firearms: transfers.